Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Dubai Day 4: Bedouin Heritage Village


This village is a representation of the historic culture of the Bedouin life style.  It shows the evolution of housing and trade over time.  It's free and it is outdoors entirely.  This meant a lot of walking around in the sand and afternoon sun.  Still, I was really happy to be there.   

area before the inner mosque for men



I couldn't go all the way inside because I didn't have a scarf to cover my hair.  It seems to be significantly smaller than the men's area, but I'm not sure since I couldn't go in the men's area.  




eastern style toilet, I still have no idea about how to use this!  Fortunately, I did not need to use the facilities.







While this is the historic style of Bedos, its really not different from styles I saw outside of this context. 

cooking meat outside or in a hole

tents were made of woven canvas, felt a bit like hemp, not soft fabric.  all natural.

fire pit within the tent



I did not wear the correct foot attire for this adventure.  The sand is scorching and every few steps my shoes are completely filled, burning my skin inside my shoes.  Now I understand why everyone wears sandals- not just for quick access to wash for their prayers, but because the sand in your shoes is unbearable.  



old man and his camel

Meeting my first camel in person.  I shall call him Fluffy and he shall be mine!   I love him!


cracking a smile or chewing cud?  




sweet baby!  really so calm and relaxed.

sinking in the sand.  




Now we've progressed in history to making simple stone shelters, which are still the same as the woven canvas tents on the inside.  











don't worry, i didn't have any money to spend.





Some shelters were made from reeds, near the sea, where these materials were available.  all the sand still blows through all the cracks, but it does provide some shade!



glass seller


This man was really sweet.  He is the pottery maker.  Everything in his shop he made  by his own design.  






I really wanted to buy one of these camels, but I was so afraid it would be crushed in  my luggage.  













the pot on the end is the finished product.  it then gets fired in the kiln once, cooled + glazed, and then refired. 




















gold and silver threads used to embroider fancy robes that are the outer layer of traditional clothes worn by men



wedding photography













No comments:

Post a Comment